A strategic and passionate business and marketing professional and an inspirational leader.
A trusted guide and advisor to, and manager of Board level, C-suite, key strategic business partners and stakeholders relationships. Evaluates and balances multi-partner interests for mutual benefit.
Proven, with a strong record of international achievement; product, service and process innovation, transformation, building brands with innovative products and services, driving growth, sales and profitability within highly competitive international markets.
Particularly skilled in collaboration within matrix structures, creation of effective teams as well as in the development and implementation of competitive complex strategies and solutions to deliver customer value and major business benefits.
Recognised as a visionary thinker, exceptional communicator and developer of talent; motivating and inspiring people to deliver exceptional results.
Experience encompasses diverse sectors with a focus on family entertainment destinations and tourism. Other includes hospitality, leisure media, finance, automotive, education.
►Extraordinary and demonstrable record of achievement internationally.
►Effective and trusted business partner and stakeholder management abilities.
► Creative Marketer with developed leadership skills, and full P&L literacy.
► Good balance of strategic and commercial skills internationally.
► Business acumen across a range of operational areas.
► Business Mentor for Start-ups at Virgin and Startup Direct.
SKILLS AND SELECTED CAREER ACHIEVEMENTS:
LEADERSHIP: ● Defines brand vision, Inspires individuals to achieve based on their role in the bigger picture.
Business Development: Significant experience of leading an organisation’s business development, and commercial partnerships negotiation, providing the thought leadership and drive to identify, evaluate and close business opportunities.
BRAND: ● Transformed brand awareness and drove major divisional sales volume growth across Hospitality, Leisure and Conferencing for Sun International plc. Annual visitors increased by 600% to over 25 million; CRM database expanded 10x to 1.5m; achieving Number 1 ranking in National Brands Survey.
REVENUE: ● Generated incremental annual revenues of more than $500m for Sun International plc. I established 9 prestigious hotels, conference and entertainment centres across South Africa and Chile.
Captured over 40% of the lucrative South African casino market, and more than 65% of the Chilean gaming and entertainment market from a base of zero.
REBRAND: ● Drove re-launch of two multi-million entertainment centres for Sun International plc, increasing sales by over 20% in 12 months to reverse a declining position.
CUSTOMER: ● CRM managed multi-tiered smart-card based programme with demonstrable revenue enhancing and customer retention results. New product development for market fit.
DIGITAL: ● Led and grew South Africa’s first digital media business for publicly listed Times Media Group plc from inception. For Sun International plc Led the introduction of digital channels into CRM, communications mix and the on-site user experience activities, enabling simpler, client focused experiences
Licensing: ● Licensed, negotiated, contracted, and staged entertainment properties and events for theatrical release and consumer products through retail including Star Wars, Moscow State Circus, Marc Anthony / Jennifer Lopez, Cirque du Soleil, Charlize Theron and other international product.
CRISIS: ● Led the rapid recovery and re-launch of a $260m centre in Chile following a major earthquake; reclaimed lost momentum within 4 weeks and was fully operational within just 4 months.
Leadership • Business Strategy • Partner Management • Collaboration • Inspiration • Marketing strategy • Brand Vision • Integrated Communications • Digital Strategy / Integration • Operations Management • Team Development & Motivation • Strategic Planning & Implementation • Resource Management • Customer Experience
Company: Ideaz2b. Founder/Director Oct 2013 to Present
Consultancy providing professional Customer / Brand focused services
- Marketing Consultation (Assessment, Turnaround, Growth, Competitiveness)
- Business Growth
- Owned channel and user interface development
- Ideas generation
- Product Development
- Digital Integration / Transformation
- MENTORING: Business and Marketing Mentor at Virgin Group and StartUp Direct. Mentoring start-ups in business, product / market fit, customer experience planning, digital strategy, product / brand strategy and development, structure, marketing strategy and planning.
Although primarily a Marketer, my mentoring includes advice on:
- New business
- Resource planning
- Structure and workflow
- People management
- Creative marketing
- Competitive intelligence
Sun International Group: (http://www.suninternational.com) Marketing Director 2003 to 2013
Sun International is Africa’s largest tourism, leisure and gaming group with themed leisure and entertainment destinations across Africa and South America. It generates annual revenues in excess of $800m, attracting over 90 000 visitors daily across the group’s properties.
Initially joined the business in a Consultant, and was soon employed as Marketing Manager then Marketing Director based on exceptional performance.
- Management Company representative and executive; guides and advices operating entities on strategy, planning and implementation. Executive on business review councils.
- Key stakeholder engagement and management across 9 business units representing over $400m in investment internationally. Stakeholders include investors, developers, regulators, government and business partners.
- Responsible for the leadership of all aspects of the Group’s gaming marketing strategy, development and implementation. Added and developed to maturity 9 new brands representing over $400m in investment growing to more than $500m in annual revenues.
- Led and inspired 11 teams of cross-functional specialists (220 pax) regionally and internationally, having full P&L accountability for a $ multi-million annual budget.
- In particular responsible for driving all strategic marketing, branding and operations efforts for 11 hotel, casino and entertainment brands encompassing digital, analogue, events, promotions, and CRM; aligning product offers and brand messages to increase awareness and build revenues.
- Licensing entertainment product and brands for staging / distribution through the organisation.
- Also responsible for facilitating the New Product Development process and championing innovative routes to market; providing thought leadership on all aspects of customer and brand strategy.
- Developed a successful mentorship programmes for business managers.
2001 to 2002 Marketing Manager Sun International plc (www.suninternational.com)
2000 to 2000 Consultant Sun International plc
1997 to 1999 General Manager Monarch Publications, Cape Town, South Africa
1992 to 1996 Marketing Manager Sun City Resort, South Africa (http://www.suninternational.com/sun-city/)
1991 to 1992 Marketing Manager Times Media Group, Johannesburg, South Africa (http://www.timesmedia.co.za/)
1990 to 1991 Account Director BLGK Advertising, Johannesburg, South Africa
1987 to 1990 Account Director Grey Phillips Advertising
1979 to 1982 Sub-Lieutenant South African Navy
- Brand vision and development
- Innovation: Product, brand, User experience and process
- Integrated Marketing & Sales strategy
- Channel development and delivery
- P&L management
- Collaboration / business partnerships
- Customer Focus and experience design from insights
- Strategic Management
- Business and Product Development
- Communication for Corporate and sub-brands
- University of the Witwatersrand South Africa 1982 to 1985
- Bachelor of Commerce, Business Information Systems and Marketing
- Graduate School of Business, University of Cape Town March 2007
- Certificate in Digital Marketing
- Institute of Direct Marketing, London Current
- Advanced diploma (NQF7 / Masters) Digital Marketing
References: available on request